github.com/robaho/go-trader has udp multicast support with both server and client code

On Dec 24, 2023, at 11:05 AM, christoph...@gmail.com <christophe.mees...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I'm developping a UDP client server program. Everything is clear on the server side.

I'm just a bit confused with the client side.

In C we can specify the network address and set the port to 0 so that a free port is picked. Apparently we can't do that with the net API.

The client must use net.DialUDP() to get a connection it can use to send messages to the remote server. If the laddr is set to nil, net.DialUDP will pick the local address and port. We thus can't pick the local address and let the system pick the port. It'll pick both. I assume it is to solve the IPv4 and IPv6 coexistence.

The returned net.UDPAddr has a LocalAddress() method returning a net.Addr. How can I convert this net.Addr into a netip.AddrPort ?  I can only get a string version of the address. Are we expected to use the ResolveUDP to convert the string into the UDPAddr ?