On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 10:05 AM roger peppe <rogpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not quite what you're after, but FWIW the gohack command (
> github.com/rogpeppe/gohack) knows enough to download arbitrary Go modules
> including the VCS checkout. You might find it useful, I guess.

Okay, yes, I'm only 5 years late to the party then. You're Readme has
exactly the rationale I was thinking.

It appears the VCS code you used has since been moved inside the compiler
and is internal/

Now that workspaces are a thing, it might be nice for it to add it to the
> current go.work
> file rather than to go.mod, I guess.

I took a stab at that. go install go.wit.com/apps/go-clone@latest

Maybe the VCS shouldn't completely be internal/ ? Maybe there is a GO
function that returns the git clone path from the go import line?