In general, you cannot convert xml to json. They have incompatible
models. XML elements are ordered similar to a JSON array, but in many
cases you want to map XML elements to JSON objects, which are
unordered name-value collections. Also, there is no JSON equivalent of
an XML attribute.

If you want to work with XML, either use xml marshaling, or find a
third-party DOM library.