On Sat, Jun 22, 2024 at 12:03 AM Will Faught <will.fau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure thing.
>
> Just want to make sure we're on the same page. We would be changing the clean
> command help message to document its clean and build flags like the flags
> package does:
>
> usage: go clean [clean flags] [build flags] [packages]
>
>   -i    remove the corresponding installed archive or binary (what 'go
> install' would create)
>   -n    print the remove commands it would execute, but not run them
>   -r    apply recursively to all the dependencies of the packages named by
> the import paths
>   -a
>         force rebuilding of packages that are already up-to-date.
>   -p n
>         the number of programs, such as build commands or
>         test binaries, that can be run in parallel.
>         The default is GOMAXPROCS, normally the number of CPUs available.
>   -race
>         enable data race detection.
>         Supported only on linux/amd64, freebsd/amd64, darwin/amd64,
> darwin/arm64, windows/amd64,
>         linux/ppc64le and linux/arm64 (only for 48-bit VMA).
> [...]
>
> Run 'go help clean' for details.
>
> The clean and build flags would be mixed together and ordered alphabetically,
> like flags does.
>
> Does that look right?

No, I was thinking of something different.  The current pattern is
that "go CMD -h" prints a short summary of the flags.  For example

> go fmt -h
usage: go fmt [-n] [-x] [packages]
Run 'go help fmt' for details.

This is useful for a quick reminder for how to run the command, and
shows people who need more information how to get more information.
So I think "go clean -h" should print something like

go clean [-i] [-r] [-cache] [-testcache] [-modcache] [-fuzzcache]
[build flags] [packages]
Run ' go help clean' for details

Ian