Hi,

I believe module retraction <https://go.dev/ref/mod#go-mod-file-retract>
was designed for this specific use case. It allows you to mark a specific
version as defective, without breaking any builds or anything - and without
requiring manual intervention by any module proxies. Note, in particular,
that there are more module proxies than just the default, public one. Even
if a version gets removed from that, people might still get the defective
version from a private or third-party proxy they use. Retraction doesn't
have that issue.