----- Original Message -----

I have a similar fears and worries here. First thing that popped on my
mind(personally as a external observer) this is a move of Google to fully
productize(data mine) a Go users community(for very limited payback), even if
it is not a main driver it will make it irresistibly easy to do so(with google
hosted notary).

IMHO this feature should be opt-in and the actual default instance of the
notary should be run by trustworthy and independent 3rd party(ideally NPO) with
clear and transparent privacy policy and on community accessible
infrastructure(so a community members can actually participate in the
maintenance and verify policies surrounding it, i.e. not like a current Go
infra is run, only Google employees can contribute/touch it).

As I will carefully evaluate all the details of the final implementation, but
from this first look I'm currently leaning to "patch out" or de-configure by
default this feature in Fedora when/if it lands in upstream GC, to preserve the
privacy of the users.

JC

PS: This is just my personal Fedora's GC maintainer take on this issue.