#!/usr/bin/perl -n
chomp;if($#p>=0&&s/^(\"?>)//){$p[-1].="$1\n";print(join($w<70?'
':"\n",@p));@p=($_);$w=0}
[EMAIL PROTECTED],$_}$w+=length;}{print(join("\n",@p))if($#p>=0);

I wrote that because docbook2html produces ugly HTML:
<<<
<HTML
><HEAD
><TITLE
>A World Wide Web Interface to CTAN</TITLE
><META
NAME="GENERATOR"
CONTENT="Modular DocBook HTML Stylesheet Version 1.76b+
"></HEAD
><BODY

and I wanted (IMHO) prettier HTML:
<<<
<HEAD>
<TITLE>
A World Wide Web Interface to CTAN</TITLE>
<META
NAME="GENERATOR"
CONTENT="Modular DocBook HTML Stylesheet Version 1.76b+">
</HEAD>
<BODY

The script also tries to join multiple attributes onto the same line,
as long as the line wouldn't be too long (70 chars) as I also find that
improves the readability of HTML (by reducing the noise level).

As I suck at perl, I reckon that something only half the length of that
might be possible.

Don't spend more than 2 minutes on it. I didn't!

Phil

=====
Given that Dubya has control of a such vast arsenal, I'm sure
the most pressing issue on his mind is :

Which bombs would Jesus drop?     (-- "mm")