Since i started on the problem a bit early before anyone had a score to show
for, i actually tried to solve the real problem and got a working solution.
I'm not going to show my code for it, because it wasnt excactly short :)

But I knew that Two-Bits had said something about having a solution in the
40's, so i started looking for a better way. I figured i could look at the
output from all possible input in the case with 27 cards, which gave me this
table:

111 :  0 :  1
112 :  1 : 10
113 :  2 : 19
121 :  3 :  4
122 :  4 : 13
123 :  5 : 22
131 :  6 :  7
132 :  7 : 16
133 :  8 : 25
211 :  9 :  2
212 : 10 : 11
213 : 11 : 20
221 : 12 :  5
222 : 13 : 14
223 : 14 : 23
231 : 15 :  8
232 : 16 : 17
233 : 17 : 26
311 : 18 :  3
312 : 19 : 12
313 : 20 : 21
321 : 21 :  6
322 : 22 : 15
323 : 23 : 24
331 : 24 :  9
332 : 25 : 18
333 : 26 : 27

Tried to look for the pattern in the Integer Sequence Encyclopedia, but
didnt find it, so i had to actually think for myself :)
Obviously as it may look, it actually took me a few hours to see the
pattern.
I cant brag that i used any math to find the solution, just plain old try
and fail :)

Terje