Hey Partha, I just encountered this problem myself, thanks to the same
misleading instructions at the link you gave.

my appengine-web.xml file had this in it:

        <system-properties>
                <property name="com.google.gdata.DisableCookieHandler"
value="true"/

        </system-properties>
        <!-- Configure java.util.logging -->
        <system-properties>
                <property name="java.util.logging.config.file" value="WEB-INF/
logging.properties"/>
        </system-properties>

which caused the error. I changed it to the following and everything
worked, hope it does the same for you.