Thanks much for the response Rajeev. Let me see if I can repeat and
reduce it to make sure I understand the formula.

1) DataNucleus will use EITHER log4j OR java.util.logging. It never
uses both.
2) DataNucleus will use log4j if it detects log4j classes on the
classpath, otherwise it will use java.util.logging
3) If my app doesn't use log4j, then I can safely delete the default
log4j.properties file and DataNucleus will happily use
java.util.logging

Is this correct?