public class Address {

    public static enum State {
        // define all 2 letter states here ...
    }

    // ....

    protected State state; // would'nt it be nice if this worked ...
}

public class Company {
    // ...
   @Embedded protected  EIN        ein; // IRS tax id

    @Embedded protected Address address;

    // ...
}

it fails stating that Address$State is an unsupported field type ...
or
if I play with annotations it claims it cannot find <init>()V which of
course is true because there is no public constructor ...

I think something else is going on with the Entity and it's embedded
types since queries on the address such as

select c from Charity where c.address.state='CA'' do not match
anything and no index is auto generated locally ...