Indeed we have relaxed this restriction so that you can call services
which require specific referers. The appid is now contained within the
User Agent string.

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=445 (which I
see you've commented on--the documentation has recently been updated
too.)

--Matthew