I always considered AWT asa "widget tookit" (AFAIR it's what it stands
for), so the library for creating windows, frames, panels, buttons,
menus etc. That's why I thought it hadn't much to do with non-widget
library which JasperReports is, and why I assumed it's not needed on
GAE (as GAE is not targeted at running desktop applications). On the
other hand, the base for reports and widgets is similar: graphics,
pixels, colors etc -  and it's also part of AWT. So probably it was a
Sun's mistake to have them mixed into one library. However, we can't
count for fixing it now, so now I see it is probably necessary to have
some base AWT functionality accessible on GAE.