> When you upgrade the SDK, make sure that the SDK under Google/App
> Engine in Preferences is also changed.  If possible, remove the old
> SDK in Preferences.  And check to make sure that you have the latest
> jar (1.2.5) in the lib folder.  When you upgrade, it should already
> replace the old SDK jar to the new one.
Like I said, I DID change the SDK. After all that was the thing that
triggered my problem. :)

Anyway I just found the solution. In my web.xml I had the following
fragment:

        <security-constraint>
                <display-name>user settings</display-name>
                <web-resource-collection>
                        <web-resource-name>settings page</web-resource-name>
                        <url-pattern>userPreferences.jsp</url-pattern>
                </web-resource-collection>
                <auth-constraint>
                        <role-name>*</role-name>
                </auth-constraint>
        </security-constraint>

This was perfectly fine under 1.2.2. 1.2.5 seems to be more picky
about this.
I did some reading andServlet Specification, section SRV.11.2.1
"Implicit Mappings" says (as I understand it),
that the url-pattern for .jsp page should start with slash, like this:

                        <url-pattern>/userPreferences.jsp</url-pattern>

After the correction, everything works fine.

Hope this post saves someone some troubles :-)

Regards,
fat bold cyclop