This is already being done:

    http://code.google.com/p/gaevfs/

I recently adding a CachingDatastoreService class that implements a
write-behind cache using task queues (instead of cron), which will be
included in the next release. The code is available now in SVN:

http://code.google.com/p/gaevfs/source/browse/trunk/src/com/newatlanta/appengine/datastore/CachingDatastoreService.java

GaeVFS supports two "filesystem"-like APIs, one based on Apache
Commons VFS (http://commons.apache.org/vfs/) and another based on the
JDK7 NIO2 project (http://openjdk.java.net/projects/nio/). The latter
API will also be in the next GaeVFS release, and the code is now in
SVN:

http://code.google.com/p/gaevfs/source/browse/trunk/src/com/newatlanta/appengine/nio/

Vince