I have been doing some profiling on application startup and it seems
that there is a large amount of overhead:
- it takes about 5 seconds between the time the request is received to
where our spring initialization code is invoked
- creating an entity manager factory is taking on average 8+ seconds
Sometimes these numbers can be much bigger than this, for example we
have seen creating entity manager factory as much as 14 seconds.

Given that the application needs to its own initialization (which we
are trying to minimize), we find that the application initialization
becomes very long and when the server is busy and the above number are
even higher, the application initialization fails to complete in 30
seconds.  Note that this is just the application initialization part
and then the actual request has to be processed which will take some
amount of time.

Given that applications can be started on any given request, it makes
things difficult with application startup time and request processing
time with the 30 second limit.

Len