Purely from experimenting with this (if anyone can identify a
reference to a good doc that would be great) I've succeeded with the
"just add the new fields" approach described above.  The hiccups I've
experienced are that you have to use nullable types for your new
properties (e.g. an int won't work but an Integer will) and, if you
don't implement and execute some sort of batch update-everything-to-
good-non-null-defaults process queries containing the new properties
won't work as you might expect.

Its definitely a source of some concern for me. Looking forward to the
model migration segments of the "JDO/JPA Snippets That Work" series
here (which seem like they are important enough to promote to blog
posts or the like).