Can you reply with the request and response headers for a response that
should have been gzipped by App Engine but wasn't? If the Accept Encoding
header reports that the client can accept compressed responses, then App
Engine should gzip the response automatically:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/runtime.html#Responses

- Jason