Thanks Toby,

And no surprise, moving my URL Fetch from the GWT client to the GWT
serverimpl makes it all work fine.
And from the GWT list:    java.net package is not supported by GWT

Re: Jason's original comment, I'm not sure there's a bug to be filed.
It would be nice if the Plugin could distinguish GWT client classes
from all others (including GWT serverimpl classes) and validate
accordingly, but that might be some unpleasant work.

Thanks to all,
Ken