Hello!

I recently discovered the power of merge joins on app-engine (no more
composite indexes required! hurray!).
I am also aware that i cannot inequality filters, neither order
clauses.

But what if i generate the primary key of the entities using the
values of the field i wish to order by. This way, since entities are
ordered (by default) by key ascending, it means they will effectively
be ordered by my criteria.

I also realized that this would work only for entities with no
parents. Otherwise the parent part of the key will mess things up (it
is compared first and this will determine the real order! which is not
what i need/want); solution -> no parents ;)

Quote from compareTo() method of Key:
"The relationship between individual Key Keys is performed by
comparing app followed by kind followed by id. If both keys are
assigned names rather than ids, compares names instead of ids. If
neither key has an id or a name we return an arbitrary but consistent
result. Assuming all other components are equal, all ids are less than
all names. "

More specifically: "if both keys are assigned names rather than ids,
compares names instead of ids". Are names compared lexically? It seems
so, but i want to be sure. Can you tell me?