Hey Mark,
Unfortunately it's more complicated than that. The very first entry in your
path points to C:\Windows\system32. There is undoubtedly a java.exe living
in that folder who's home is actually the JRE in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6.
(You can test this yourself by running a small Java program):

System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.home"));

AppCfg uses the system property, java.home, of the currently running JVM to
look for javac. Since you're running the java.exe which belongs to a JRE, it
goes looking for the compiler there. Unfortunately, there's no real
universally consistent or great way to automagically find the most
appropriate java compiler. For our SDK, the rule is that you need to be
running the JVM from your SDK, not from a JRE. As I mentioned in my previous
post, this is most easily accomplished by just setting your Java SDK at the
front of your path. For example,

set PATH=c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin;%PATH%

We've certainly been mulling over ways to make this simpler and more
bulletproof.