This has been a pain from the beginning, but I'm so close I can smell
it! First, I tried sending normal Authentication header to my app, but
it was being striped off and not used. Then I found in documentation
that I need to reference the Auth token I get from the ClientLogin for
each of my service requests...
http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/docs/AuthForInstalledApps.html
Didn't work, then I learned from this post
http://dalelane.co.uk/blog/?p=894
That I need to use that Auth token to get a JSESSION Cookie from

String authKey = ... from ClientLogin ...
String destUrl = "http://myappname.appspot.com/";;
String cookieUrl = "http://myappname.appspot.com/_ah/login?continue=";
+ URLEncoder.encode(destUrl,"UTF-8") + "&auth=" + URLEncoder.encode
(authKey,"UTF-8");

resp.sendRedirect(cookieUrl);

I deployed the app to make sure the UserService has all the info it
needed. Everything is working now except that when the resp redirect
returns with the new JSESSION Cookie and I use the getCurrentUser() it
is still null...agg. Thanks in advance! I really would like to use
google accounts, but it seems I'm almost being forced to build my
own=/