I'm not familiar with the quotas for Google's Documents List API or your
planned access rate, so this is something you should confirm in the
Documents List API discussion group, but generally speaking, this does seem
like a reasonable strategy.

http://groups.google.com/group/google-documents-list-api

- Jason