:-)

Yes, it looks like the task queue concurrency in production is
thottled at 5 concurrent requests.

As an aside, my app was frequently generating these errors (>30% of
the requests):

10-28 11:52PM 40.993 /action/zipimportmc/dequeue 500 10043ms 0cpu_ms
0kb ApacheBench/2.3,gzip(gfe)
Request was aborted after waiting too long to attempt to service your
request. Most likely, this indicates that you have reached your
simultaneous active request limit. This is almost always due to
excessively high latency in your app. Please see
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html for more details.

When I have some extra time I'll try to create a minimal repro case
for this.  I was seeing this error regardless of how I invoked my
URLs.  I tried:
  - task queues (which appears to
  - manually in a web browser
  - from the command line with ApacheBench (as in the above line)
(from two machines at once using concurrency of 3 on each ab invoke)

It may have to do with the duration of each of the requests.  I wrote
my handler to exit after 20 seconds to avoid deadline exceptions, but
perhaps there's a heurstic that punishes that.. I need to experiment
more.

But yes, I'm open to suggestions on how to generate higher levels of
concurrency when you want to process a large data set.  So far my
attempts are lacking!

-- James