+1

It's critical that the GAE team take these concerns on board. The two
selling points of GAE are performance and reliability, yet thanks to
the aggressive unloading of idle instances and the constant glitches
of the GAE infrastructure, GAE is dramatically underperforming against
expectations and of course the competition.

As an IT manager, my observation is this really needs a team
dedicating to the systemic problems that GAE currently faces. For
example, where is the sandbox in which developers can test their apps
against new releases? Where is a list of infrastructure problems/
exceptions and how each one should be dealt with? I'm sure the answer
is that the nature of the bigtable/google infrastructure makes it hard
to conceive a sandbox. Well somebody needs to focus on what needs to
be done to achieve one.

Just pretend for a moment that Steve Ballmer and the entire M$
competitive marketing dept. is monitoring this thread.

Optimistically yours
Roy

PS. @Jerome.  Throughput and response times are the 2 competing faces
of performance. To achieve high throughput through a system, you
sacrifice response time, and vice versa. I'm actually fairly confident
that the GAE infrastructure can provide the throughput and the Google
IO talk about the Whitehouse thingy shows that. What GAE can't seem to
provide is reliably good response times, so much so that apps fall
foul of the 30 second timeout.