James,

The way I would probably do this would be to create an enum in the scope of
the Membership class representing a region and store it as an indexed
property. The App Engine data store will take care of distributing the CRUD
operations of related data for you. You probably won't get much bang for
your buck by creating different entities. By maintaining a single Membership
entity, you'll be able to more easily reuse related class. At its most low
level, the App Engine datastore is simply a distributed, type agnostic
key-value store. App Engine recognizes entities by creating an index for all
of your application's Entities, and indexes are created for each property by
default. I would recommend creating a Data Access layer and doing the
segmentation there.

--
Ikai Lan