Hi Ikai,

   Yes and a little more.   The individual work processes can run
multiply in parallel, but the pattern
I'm using is a sequential workflow (of parallelizable processes).
Having the workflow
schedule definable in a configuration file like the cron.xml or
queue.xml, but with the
added ability to terminate on a certain condition is what I was
thinking about.
Alternatively the queue.xml file has the ability to specify the
frequency of the operation and the
cron.xml file has the ability to specify the a discrete set of times
for the operation,
so the combined ability to specify a set of start times with an
interval over which
an operation repeats would be a good substitution.

  To add a little more context, I'm working from the perspective of
wanting to use the cron.xml
to invoke my "workflow" on a regular schedule, not having enough slots
to enter the number
of iterations it needs along with other processes outside of it in
that cron.xml.   I'm interested in using the
Task Queue API instead for the workflow, but do not want the operation
to run all day.
I'm still reading the Task Queue API, so it may be that it's straight
forward to add and remove a task
from the Queue... it's just that the total solution for the problem
I've set up requires many moving parts
(a cron.xml operation to put the workflow in a task and an operation
to remove it when the workflow state
changes) and I like the idea of being able to configure it in a file
if possible.

Thanks for your help, pushing it back onto the queue from a cron job
sounds like the right solution
for now.

-Nichole