The list of open issues for the Images API is here:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/list?can=2&q=image

It looks like your issue may be related to this:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2339

Any details you can provide will be a great help. Thanks!

--
Ikai Lan