> I must say that I have had a terrible time getting my head around the
> datanucleus jive. I find it terrible: extremely limited functionality
> and gae don't give adequate documentation for the functionality that
> it does have. I mean every new technology takes time to learn but
> datanucleus/jdo doesn't compare with oracle objects introduced years
> ago in oracle 8 or 9i, nor to jpa working with an rdb.
>
> Would jpa be easier in gae even though it is still datanucleus??
>
> Whose idea was it to not have the standard operators such as OR, NOT
> etc? Why do we need == when .equals() method should be the way to go?
> Where are the wild cards?

Just to state the obvious, DataNucleus is a separate project that
provides *complete* JDO and JPA implementations for RDBMS. It also
provides implementations of those persistence standards for LDAP,
ODBMS, XML, ODF, HBase, Amazon S3, etc. There is no "DataNucleus jive"
whatever that is. No idea what your point about == is - in JDOQL ? or
what ? Wildcards are part of String.matches which is supported in
JDOQL

The limitations you see in the plugin provided by Google for their
datastore are typically down to their datastore not offerring
facilities like NOT and OR. As I've mentioned to them, they could
provide unsupported datastore features by using in-memory evaluation
of such things (where the user wants to). This would provide a cleaner
JDO/JPA querying experience.