It seems that the classes of the JSTL are loaded by a different
classloader than the webapp classloader.
Because this class loader does not have xalan in place, it fails.

Could you please add xalan to the classpath of this classloder?
(If i do this in the eclipse plugin, it works, but only in the local dev
environment of course).

I added this as a comment on issue 2180.

Regards,
Stephan