I also have the same problem and i do have the jdk1.6 installed.
If i copy the guestbook.jsp code inside the predefined index.html file
in the eclipse the guestbook.jsp code it shows me the
html code in the browser but the java functions does not work!
If I do a new file named guestbook.jsp nothing works.
Any other ideas please?

Thank you,
Andreas