> Q2. is mixing JPA and JDO ok? ie. JPA entity and JDO seems to work for me.

As per the DataNucleus docs you can define persistence with JPA
metadata and persist using JDO, or define persistence using JDO
metadata and persist using JPA. You definitely won't find that
flexibility in any other JPA/JDO implementation.

> Q3.how does the collection equality filter work in app engine? I have
> not found any docs to explain the 'voodoo' like behaviour.

I assume their interpretation of  "field == collectionValue"
is the same as "collectionValue.contains(field)"
i.e non-standard JDOQL.
When they support valid JDOQL syntax (the latter expression, in their
next release IIRC) you would be strongly recommended to change to use
that rather than this weirdness