I've posted a reply to the issue, which I'm copying below:

Unlike production, the dev_appserver's memcache implementation has a
100M limit which
it will happily attempt to fill, regardless of how much heap space you
actually have
free in your JVM. You can either increase your heap size to accomodate
the limit, or
change the limit to accomodate your heap size. You can change the
limit by setting
the system property, memcache.maxsize. For example,

$SDK_HOME/bin/dev_appserver.sh --jvm_flag=-Dmemcache.maxsize=50M