My approach is quite simpler. I keep a configuration file where  I
setup a different webBaseURL depending on the environment, development
VS production. One could a a boolean isProduction and make webBaseURL
a function of that. The thing to remember is to setup the config file
before uploading to GAE and then resetting it back to the development
config.

public class Config {

    // True or false the UI actions (buttons) and the http servicce
requests
    // are logged.
    private static boolean isLogOn = true;

    // Web base URL
    /////private static String webBaseURL = "http://
wcondominios.appspot.com/";
    private static String webBaseURL = "http://localhost:8080/";;

    /**
     * @return True or false the the UI actions (buttons) and the http
     * servicce requests are logged.
     */
    public static boolean isLogOn() {return isLogOn;}

    /**
     * @return The Web base URL
     */
    public static String getWebBaseURL() {return webBaseURL;}

}

Jorge Gonzalez