Very good question; I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

I'm using Spring's @transaction stuff.  I tweaked it slightly to make read-only
and read/write annotations;

@Target({ElementType.METHOD, ElementType.TYPE})
@Retention(RetentionPolicy.RUNTIME)
@Transactional(
        readOnly = true,
        rollbackFor = Throwable.class,
        propagation = Propagation.NOT_SUPPORTED,
        isolation = Isolation.DEFAULT
)
public @interface TransactionalReadOnly {
    // empty
}

and

@Target({ElementType.METHOD, ElementType.TYPE})
@Retention(RetentionPolicy.RUNTIME)
@Transactional(
        readOnly = false,
        rollbackFor = Throwable.class,
        propagation = Propagation.REQUIRED,
        isolation = Isolation.DEFAULT
)
public @interface TransactionalReadWrite {
    // empty
}

But I'm using only the TransactionalReadWrite in my service layer at the
moment.  For testing my dao layer I'm using a a spring xml config file with the
tx: and aop: tags to make my daos use transactions.  I can email that if you'd
like.