The limit right now is 30 simultaneous requests, not 10:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/runtime.html

Much of App Engine's model is based on the idea that the majority of
requests should be speedy with a small minority taking longer to respond, as
research has indicated that past a certain perceived loading time of a few
hundred milliseconds application usage drops off sharply. We certainly
understand that some data is, by nature, expensive to generate, and for that
reason a Map/Reduce API is something that's been asked for so that our
developers can preprocess large amounts of data in the background for faster
serving. Obviously, this isn't a model that works for everything, as there
are going to be applications that simply need lots of requests to be
expensive to generate (say, reports to be generated in real-time) and will
hold a connection open. In my mind, there's a class of problems that App
Engine solves extremely well, a class of applications where App Engine is
about as good as traditional hosted solutions at solving, and a class of
problems where App Engine is less than optimal. Being able to provide a
solution that can allow developers to run longer running requests isn't
something that's on our public roadmap, but it's a feature we are tracking -
in the meantime, we try to help our developers with alternatives to this
model of development.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Jess Evans <laphroai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can that be clarified a bit?  GAE concurrent requests are capped below 10
> and 1/3 sec response time is considered a long request?  This doesn't seem
> realistic compared to non-trivial 3-tier JEE clusters where an installation
> might support upwards of 100+ open sockets and a looong transaction might
> run 800+ ms (4 secs client wait time being an accepted max before resorting
> to async mechanisms).  That's in the context of modern processors, which
> seem faster than the GAE CPU algorithms.  Is there a roadmap to support such
> requirements or is that being relegated to the hosted image model of cloud
> computing?
>
> On Dec 10, 2009 7:48 PM, "Ikai L (Google)" <ika...@google.com> wrote:
>
> There is a limit on the number of open connections you can have, and it
> could be that you are hitting this limit. App Engine favors a model where
> you use many small, cheap requests in lieu of single, long requests.
>
>  On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM, R D <adma...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I have
> a simple application tha...
> --
> Ikai Lan
> Developer Programs Engineer, Google App Engine

Ikai Lan