Yes I completely understand why Google Datastore would return nulls.  Why
doesn't the Datanucleus code handle the nulls appropriately?  Datanucleus
knows that the object has a primitive, and just take the less robust
approach.  It could check to see if it is a primitive and check to see if
the value is null, if value is null, set to default value.

Right now Datanucleus doesn't allow you to add a new field that is a
primitive.  If you want to add a field it must be a Object form.

--Jeff