It looks like this issue has been forgotten about:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/ba2f36a160049e4d/c52daefd59156399

After some experimentation, I've concluded that it's impossible to
send HTML email with inline images using GAE.  This is a really,
*really* serious limitation that effectively renders HTML email
useless.  Requiring users to click "show images" as a separate step
when they view mail is a really crappy user experience, and most HTML
mail looks rather broken without images.

Can we get the priority of this increased?  Having to set up another
cloud server just to send non-broken email is lame.

Users:  If you send email (or want to send non-broken email in the
future), please star this bug!

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=965

It was logged just over a year now.

Thanks,