john,

HardDeadlineExceededError cannot be caught. you should see
DeadlineExceededException and catch that instead... as explained in
this thread below, seeing HardDeadlineExceededError means that
something has caused DeadlineExceededException to get discarded or
it's going so fast, that there wasn't any time to throw
DeadlineExceededException:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-java/browse_thread/thread/409f3c244c10674f/2978dcb88890e8a9

what kinds of operations is your app performing, and do they seem to
take longer than 30 secs?

thanks,
-- wesley
"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
   http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wesc+...@google.com
developer relations :: google app engine