Is any of your resources sitting in a foreign file system like smb,
ntfs or nfs?

And do you have many projects mounted like I do? I had the same
problem and I had to kill/restart the connector process to the foreign
file system, whenever this happens. I would notice thrashing going own
in the connection and eclipse got stuck.

In my less than educated opinion, it looks like running datanucleus is
too expensive during startup because it has to compete with rebuilds
and other startup activities when automatic build is set on in eclipse
and your data communication channels to those foreign file systems may
not be able to cope with the traffic and somehow eclipse starts
thrashing back and forth in its frenzy to get to what it wants,
resulting in deadlocks.

Therefore, the real question that I have been asking is - why did the
eclipse designers make eclipse rebuild my projects on startup since
they have already been rebuilt just before I shut eclipse down.
Eclipse should memorise that fact that projects have already been
rebuilt just before I shut it down. We should take a look if there is
a bug report concerning this feature/bug.

Perhaps, you could turn autobuild off everytime you exit eclipse so
that it when eclipse is started, it would not autobuild - and turn it
back on when eclipse startup has quieted down.

In Galileo, when I switch autobuild off, I find that error highlights
persists even though the code is error free until I restart autobuild.
That is the disadvantage of switching autobuild off, because it would
mislead me about the syntax integrity of the code.