> Going back to the original poster's request, would you like to provide
> JDO (on GAE/J) equivalents of the annotated entities that described in
> BAD IDEA #1, BAD IDEA #2, and GOOD IDEA?  That is:

I only represent JDO, as a spec, not how GAE/J have implemented it.
The docs for that are provided in the JDO spec and on the DataNucleus
website. I fail to see anything controversial in how they are
represented in those places. I've already made my feelings well enough
known on exposing environment specific classes into user space

> Aesthetics are of course subjective, but you're handicapped right out
> of the gate when the first few lines of code look like this (taken
> from the first full example class of "Defining Data Classes" in the
> GAE/J docs):
>
> @PersistenceCapable(identityType = IdentityType.APPLICATION)
> public class Employee {
>     @PrimaryKey
>     @Persistent(valueStrategy = IdGeneratorStrategy.IDENTITY)
>     private Key key;

So how GAE/J present them ? Not how DataNucleus present them in our
docs then?
No need to specify identityType=IdentityType.APPLICATION since the
user provides a primary key. You need an annotation of some form to
say your class is persistent, and one to say that this is a PK field,
and it has a generated value.
You define the valueStrategy not in @PrimaryKey because in JDO you can
generate a value into *any* field not just in a PK. JDO provides
flexibility in that respect, something to be pleased about.

> JPA is a little better with @Entity and @Id

And you forgot @GeneratedValue to get the equivalent thing, so not
really any different. So you have shorter names, but then you have an
IDE too that adds them with completion, so what difference is that?

Either way, if you think you can make some improvements and really
want to effect a standard then the Apache JDO group is waiting to hear
from you