Hi phracktle,

Posts like this may be better suited to the google-appengine group, since
they're not Java specific.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM, phraktle <phrak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can the Google team please shed some light on the issue of multiple
> datacenters in various geographical locations pertaining GAE? I would
> like to understand what characteristics and what level of guarantees
> to expect from a GAE app, and didn't find any docs or posts on this...
>
> 1. Is static content delivered by a geographically distributed CDN?
> Would make sense for latency and international bandwidth costs.

If you specify caching settings, yes, your content may be cached at the
edges of our network.

> 2. Does GAE launch VMs of a single app in multiple datacenters? Same
> as above - latency would be quite bad for some geographical locations
> without this.

No, currently we're single-homed, with failover.

> 3. If VMs are distributed, what's the deal with memcache? If it's
> distributed, does/can it split into distinct partitions? How does that
> affect atomic operations, such as increment, or things like grabTail?
>
> 4. If there's geographical distribution, how does it affect Datastore
> performance and latencies?
>
> My current (disappointing) impression based on latencies is that GAE
> VMs are not geographically distributed, based on the latencies. But
> would be good to get some clear information on this.
>
> In general, it would be quite useful to be able to monitor VMs better,
> eg. how many VM launches took place, where. This would provide more
> insight into the operation and performance of the app... (This may
> also be a stepping stone toward the "pay to keep some VMs warm" topic,
> an often requested feature - at least we could see )
>
> Thanks,
>  Viktor

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine
Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number:
368047