John,

Thanks a bunch. Here is the reason why I need to add a prefix to the key.
The scenario -

I will be implementing pagination (of the data returned) as described in
 and for  the sort order I wanted to use the Key. However, if the key also
has the date of creation embedded in it then the sort will be on the date as
well.

I do not want to generate an unique key in my application. I want the data
store to do it. I just want my app to piggyback on the datastore's ability
to generate unique keys.  Does this make sense or am I missing something
here?

Thanks again,

Manny