You can't open a socket, You can however use XMPP and other methods to
do what you need.

from: http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/whatisgoogleappengine.html

"The environment includes the Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) 6
platform and libraries. The restrictions of the sandbox environment
are implemented in the JVM. An app can use any JVM bytecode or library
feature, as long as it does not exceed the sandbox restrictions. For
instance, bytecode that attempts to open a socket or write to a file
will throw a runtime exception"

---
If you are a beginner in GAE I suggest you read this document to get a
better understanding of what you can do with the JAVA GAE