If you would like a very simple interface to the app engine datastore
(not JPA/JDO) then Objectify might be for you. It doesn't sound like
you need to use JDO/JPA. Here is an example of exactly what you want:
http://code.google.com/p/objectify-appengine/wiki/IntroductionToObjectify#Basic_Operations:_Get,_Put,_Delete

Notice that the Car is created, stored, then (can be) retrieved,
changed, and stored again:

Car porche = new Car("2FAST", "red");
ofy.put(porche);

... you can use the same instance, or get it at another time; it will
be the same object

// Change some data and write it
porche.color = "blue";
ofy.put(porche);

The simplicity is that you only store (put) and retrieve (get) objects
from the datastore. There is no disconnected state, or any issues
therein (no merging or reconnecting existing objects to some manager).
It is simple, easy, and works with regular (POJO) objects. There isn't
any special gotchas or explicit order to storing parent or children
(just that you do :) . it works just as you should expect a simple
persistence framework to work.