If you use the command pattern as explained in Ray Ryans talk then you have only one Servlet to map for all commands.

http://code.google.com/events/io/2009/sessions/GoogleWebToolkitBestPractices.html

We use an implementation that also takes care of retrying failures and ignoring out-of-sequence responses.