The only thing we could do was to write some special low-level api code to update the schema properly (low-level api is more flexible and doesn't have issues abou querying old or new data, they are all entities with list of fields).

For example, when adding a field that uses a primitve type to an object. You can't query all objects with JDO pretending to store them in the recently modified object, because null cannot be asigned to the non-null field, but you can query the objects using the low level api and set a default value for the new field.

Of course this is far far away from being a efficient way of updating your schema, but I don't know whether there's some better (at least for java)

Regards,

Esteban