It is very simple to know if you need to use google apps or not.
Here is the article about it:
http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/auth.html

1.) Do you want to authenticate users from a specific google apps
domain? (Note: Saying yes will exclude gmail and general google
accounts)

2.) Do you need to have a custom domain name?

If neither of there is true then you don't need google apps. If either
is true then you do.

If you *just* want a custom domain name then you will need to create a
"free" google apps account for your domain-name mappings; it will not
need to have any users created (your users will not be in there
because they will come from the google accounts authentication
domain).

So, to answer your question, create a free google apps account. Add
your domain mapping, and never go in there again.

Now, when it comes to security, and authorization, you will have to
write your own using some kind of application-based security (like a
filter). You will need to maintain your own roles (and membership).
This will most likely mean creating security entities keyed to their
google email address from the current logged in user. As I said above,
you will not need to pay for that authentication service (even with a
custom domain name).

Good luck to you :)