Check out http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/urlfetch/overview.html
: "App Engine implements this interface using the URL Fetch service;
your application does not make socket connections directly."

import java.net.MalformedURLException;
import java.net.URL;
import java.io.BufferedReader;
import java.io.InputStreamReader;
import java.io.IOException;

// ...
        try {
            URL url = new URL("http://www.example.com/atom.xml";);
            BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new
InputStreamReader(url.openStream()));
            String line;

            while ((line = reader.readLine()) != null) {
                // ...
            }
            reader.close();

        } catch (MalformedURLException e) {