John,

  I've posted the pretty much complete log in my very first message.
If I read it correctly the request took 10012ms and it haven't used
any CPU (0cpu_ms) and there was NO other requests within 30 minutes
around that time.
  More over, if I kick the very same url as defined in cron.xml
manually from the browser, it works. So, the issue seem only affects
requests coming from the cron.xml

  The only thing I could do to to avoid execution of context listener
(besides of dropping Spring MVC and Spring Security) is split
application into a two separate apps, but then I won't be able to
access the same data storage.

  regards,
  Eugene